Part two of a look at the Tiger Squadron. It was a part of the Royal Canadian Air Force Bomber Group, and had been ‘adopted’ by the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce. Photos taken in England follow accompanied by the original captions which accompanied them when used in the Hamilton Spectator.
“Aircrew and ground crew of the Tiger Squadron with one of the Halifax bombers which the squadron flies on operations. In the centre of the front row is Wing Cmdr. George Roy, D.F.C., of Westmount, Que., the commanding officer. The squadron has been adopted by the Chamber of Commerce of the city of Hamilton. R.C.A.F. photos Nos. PL 32448 and PL32446″ The Hamilton Spectator, October 17, 1944.
This “four-motored Rooster” belongs to the Tiger Squadron of the RCAF Bomber Group overseas – as do the fighting fliers with it. Artist is Sgt. Wally Davidson, RAF.” The Hamilton Spectator, May 9, 1944.
The City of Hamilton, “Tiger” squadron, based at Skipton, Yorks., was recently presented with its official crest by Air Commodore J.L. Hurley, Air Officer Commanding No.6 RCAF Bomber Group, of OTTAWA, Ont. Wing Commander R.W. Norris, Tiger squadrons commanding officer of SASKATOON, Sask., and TORONTO, Ont., (1500 King St., West) is shown receiving the crest from A/C Hurley, (RCAF PHOTO)” The Hamilton Spectator, September 25, 1944.
Veteran Halifax bomber of the Tiger squadron of the R.C.A.F. Bomber Group “O” for “Oscar” is shown here taxiing up for take-off. During its career with the Tigers it has completed over 60 sorties on enemy targets.” The Hamilton Spectator, January 30, 1945
Just before an RCAF Bomber Group operation, 25,000 cigarettes, candy and a football were distributed to the boys of the Tiger Squadron from the citizens of HAMILTON, Ont. who have adopted the unit. Here some of the Tigers get welcome gifts from the station adjutant, Flight Lieutenant R.M. Howard, of DUNDAS, Ont. (53 Victoria St) shown at right holding several cigarette packages. (RCAF PHOTO)” The Hamilton Spectator. January 30, 1945
“TIGER SQUADRON RECEIVES PARCELS – Two Hamilton boys get their share of the 25,000 cigarettes and candy sent to the R.C.A.F. Bomber Groups Tiger Squadron by the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, which has adopted the unit. At the left, Flying Officer J.A. Bieber, mid-upper gunner, from 481 King William street, gets a package from the station adjutant, Flight-Lieut. R.M. Howard, of Dundas, Ont., while Pilot Officer F.E. Pitcher, right, also a mid-upper gunner, from 180 McAnulty boulevard, has just got his share. – R.C.A.F. Photo. P140242.” The Hamilton Spectator, January 16, 1945
Photos courtesy PreVIEW, Local History and Archives, Hamilton Public Library