Book House – Ancaster Township
It was one of the oldest, and for its time, most grand houses in the Greater Hamilton Region, Ancaster Township in particular.
In 1789, John Book and his wife were basically squatters on a piece of property in the area now known as Fiddler’s Green Road, overlooking Book Road. In 1801, after the Books had cleared the land and had started a farm, they applied for, and received a grant of 700 acres, making their ownership legitimate.
The house itself was built over a 5 year period, 1811 to 1816. The large home was 2 and a half stories in size, rectangular shaped, with chimneys at each end. Work on building the house was interrupted when both sons of John Book had to leave to fight under General Brock’s leadership in the Battle of Queenston Heights during the War of 1812.
In the early years of the 19th century in Upper Canada, the Book House was considered one of the finest homes in the province.
The Book House, vacant at the time, was lost to fire on June 21, 2005.
Both images courtesy PreVIEW, Local History and Archives, Hamilton Public Library.