Bruce Murdoch’s visits to Hamilton area communities continued in March 1951 with a trip to Winona. His phptpgraphs and the captions which appeared in the Hamilton Spectator of March 1951 follow.
Originally called Ontario when settled in 1851 the village was renamed Winona at Confederation in 1867 after the legendary first born daughter of the Sioux.
Caption: “Legion and Community Hall – The hall opened by Winona Branch No. 196, Canadian Legion, in 1949, has not only provided the veterans with a meeting place but has also provided the Winona district with a well-equipped public meeting place which is now in use “nearly every night of the week.”"
Seen in this photograph is Winona’s new post office and residence of Postmaster Howard Barnard. While not yet completed, the new building is already in use by the post office. Originally named Ontario, Canada West, the post office opened on December 6, 1851. The name was changed to Winona on April 1, 1868. The office now occupies its fourth site, twice on Station Road and, for almost 50 years, the brick building on No. 8 Highway from which it was recently moved.”
“Howard Barnard, postmaster at Winona for the last 25 years, is seen at one of the wickets of Winona’s new post office as he handed Don McCollum, district fruit grower, his mail.”
“Century Old Home – The home of George R. Lewis, seen in this photograph, is one of the finest and oldest in the Winona area, and is one of the very few remaining in possession of direct descendants of the builders of a century ago. It was built by Levi Lewis, grandfather of the present owner, in 1843-45, at a total cost, according to an old account book listing every item, of $3,598.45. The carpentry work was done by a master carpenter and one helper who received total pay of 280 pounds (Halifax currency) and board for their 700 days’ work on the house. In his bill of costs, the owner allowed himself 200 pounds for “my own time and work overseeing, etc.”"
“The main industry – in fact, we believe it is the only industry – that the district has ever known is the firm of E. D. Smith and Sons, Limited, founded n 1882 by the later Senator E. D. Smith, a pioneer in the fruit-growing and marketing, and the originator of the pure fruit jam and jelly-making industry in Canada. It was away back in 1877 that E. D. Smith started fruit growing in a small way; then he started a nursery and founded the business in 1882. It was in 1904 that he started the pure jam and jelly-making business. Still later, greenhouses were added and the growing of roses was started. The firm at one time had nursery farms spread over a wide area but this end of the business has now been dropped and business is confined to the factory and to greenhouses for roses and tomatoes. Two hundred employees, most of whom are Winona residents, are employed at the Smith plant throughout the year. In the summer months, the number of workers is greatly increased. For many of the workers, it is the only place they ever worked and lenghty employment is a feature. The annual payroll is approximately $400,000, a long stretch from the original plant that employed only a handful of men. Products which the firm now makes from Winona-grown fruits and vegetables include jams, jellies, marmalade, catsup, chili sauce, maraschino cherries, grape juice, glace cherries, fruits and peels. The third generation of the family, Llewellyn and Alastair Smith are now actively engaged in the management of the business. Their father, Brigadier Armand A. Smith, son of the founder, is company president.”
“Old Employees of the E. D. Smith Firm – The men and women seen in this photograph have worked for the E. D. Smith firm for periods ranging from 26 to 39 years. Their aggregate employment is 373 years – an average of 31 years. From the left they are: Front row – Marjorie Woodford, 27 years; Mrs. Isabel McConnel, 39 years; Alice Lymer, 26 years; Mrs. J. P. Davies, 31 years; Lizzie Getrick, 30 years; Miss Nora Langdon, 26 years. Back row – J. P. Davies, 38 years; George Hardyman, 35 years; John Wilbur, 35 years; Albert Swick, 31 years; S. A. Jones, 27 years, and Irl Butler, 28 years.”
Photos courtesy PreVIEW, Local History and Archives, Hamilton Public Library