City Hall Skeleton Completed – February 1959
The construction of Hamilton’s City was a project closely monitored by citizens. A major step in the effort was the completion of the steel skeleton of the building. Pictured above is the south elevation of the building as seen across Hunter Street west in February, 1959.
The progress of the City Hall construction moved this painter to make it the subject of his artwork. The painter, unnamed in the files, positioned himself in a classroom of the Central Public School, probably the same room from which the first photograph was taken.
Photos courtesy PreVIEW, Local History and Archives, Hamilton Public Library.