Bank of Nova Scotia – 1914 to 1954
Built and opened for business just before the outbreak of World War One, the handsome building at 54-54 King street was first used by the Bank of Nova Scotia.
With an exterior of Ohio canyon stone and an interior denominated by terra cotta finishings, it was a handsome addition to the row of building along the south branch of King street east between john and Hughson streets.
By 1954, the Bank of Scotia had located further west near James street in a larger building, the 1914 building was for sale. The next year it was purchased by the Royal Trust firm which remained at that location until 1966.
Photos courtesy PreVIEW, Local History and Archives, Hamilton Public Library.