Back to School – In Westover 1951
Westover still in the present day amalgamated city of Hamilton is towards the northern edge of the ‘city’ boundaries in the former Beverly Township.
Here are photographs taken by Bruce Murdoch, accompanied by the captions which accompanied hem in the issue dated November 17, 1951
“The Westover School – This building was erected in 1893, replacing a frame school on the same site, which, in turn, replaced the old log school built in 1840 or thereabouts.”
The Westover School was officially known as S. S. No. 11, Beverly Township.
“The Younger Generation – Here are some of the 41 pupils attending the Westover school, officially known as S. S. No. 11, Beverly Township. Readin’, writin’ and ‘rithmetic have been taught to Westover youngsters in this same classroom for nearly 60 years.”
“The Reading Lesson – Youngsters everywhere like to read – even in school classes – and these at the Westover school are no exception. From the left, they are Mary Maas, Betty Rutledge, Larry Morley and Leonard Daneluk. At the right is the teacher, Leonard Eseler.”
Photos courtesy PreView, Local History and Archives, Hamilton Public Library